04 September 2011

How to Avoid Getting Skimmed By ATM Scammers | #bankfraud #hackers #infosec

Seth Rabinowitz recalls the time he used his HSBC ATM card on a Sunday afternoon in São Paulo, Brazil, at an ATM outside a bank that seemed closed, because it was after regular hours. "It rejected my PIN and spit out the card. I tried again. Same thing. The next day, I used a different card at a different ATM to get some cash, thinking the first ATM card I used the day before would then be locked for faulty PIN entry and I'd call the bank later to unlock it -- it's a hassle to call customer service at certain banks from certain foreign countries ... doable, but a hassle with which one might tend to procrastinate," says Rabinowitz.

A couple of days went by; then, he checked his online statement. "I saw $8,000 deducted from my account in three days from ATM withdrawals," says Rabinowitz.

Read full article: http://bit.ly/pQFEvN

No comments: